Do you have a knack for talking to people? Are you an innovative thinker and interested in working with diverse cultures? Do you want to gain experience in a growing not-for-profit organization that fosters justice, equality and intercultural dialogue? Are you a person who loves to take initiative? If yes, we are looking for you to join our team of dedicated young professionals!
About the position
Founded 1,5 year ago, Horizons is a rapidly growing international youth organization. We regularly receive emails of experienced, valuable and/ or interested people that are willing to volunteer for Horizons, and we are often developing new projects for which we need new volunteers.
As an External Communications Officer, you play an important role in communicating with these interested people, who are found throughout the world. Your job will be to talk to volunteers who express interest in expanding Horizon’s mission beyond the Netherlands: People will contact you, you will inform them about Horizons, and place them in projects to which they suit the best. If there is no suitable project and the potential volunteer would be interested in developing a new project, you would work together with the volunteer(s) to construct sustainable programs and ideas that will increase intercultural understanding and dialogue.
Your main task is therefore to help these people find the right positions within the organization. You will conduct interviews through Skype and in real-life, analyze someone’s skills and experiences according to these interviews and help them to utilize those skills in the most effective ways possible. In close cooperation with the board members and project managers, you will connect the volunteers to the projects and people who have the most relevant knowledge for their interests.
In addition, by contacting the project managers, project coordinators, and the board on a regular basis, you will discover what practices work best when designing, implementing, and developing an international program. This knowledge will then be used as a framework in your consultations.
Please be aware that we have no paid positions yet. We hope to receive some regularly funding in the near future, therefore knowledge about payments, salaries and contracts would be beneficial.
- Working to spread Horizons programs to outside of the Netherlands through effective external communication;
- Counseling and recruiting new volunteers around the world by conducting interviews and Skype-conversations. Also you are responsible for candidates from abroad who fully support and understand our mission and vision;
- Provide encouragement and innovative ideas to volunteers abroad;
- Constructing and maintaining relationships by staying up-to-date with volunteers and their programs’ implementation and progress;
- Evaluating Horizons programs by talking to the board members, project managers and project coordinators every half a year;
- Establishing and conducting training and development programs according to the needs of the volunteers and the needs of the organization.
- Searching and connecting to partner organizations who have an affinity with Horizon’s mission
- Excellent with interpersonal communications and capacity building;
- Interest in working with a new IGO and speaking with people (inside and outside of the organization) from different cultures;
- Some experience in conducting interviews, recruiting and selecting candidates, and estimating the organization’s needs;
- Relevant background (Communications, Organizational Psychology, Human Resource Management);
- Preferably a young professional or at the end of your studies;
- A knack for recognizing peoples’ talents and skills;
- Excellent written and oral skills in English;
- Team player with a hands-on mentality;
- Affinity with Horizons’ vision and mission: intercultural dialogue, justice and equality;
- 8 hours of availability in a week, at least for one year.
What do we offer?
Horizons offers you a unique experience in the field of social activism within a young, dynamic and passionate organization. If selected, you get to develop your organizational and management skills. This position will provide you with a large network within the not-for-profit and public sector, which could benefit future career perspectives. As we are a young organization, the position is on an unpaid basis.
If you believe that you are the person we are looking for, we’d love to hear from you. Please send us your CV and a letter of motivation (preferable in PDF-format), before 26 May 2016 to email@example.com.